The mumblings of a Christian autistic husband, dad, IT guy and amateur radio operator - Will Brokenbourgh / AF7EC
Wills Fabulous Windows 8 Ghetto Start Menu / Start Button [UPDATE 1]
Will B's Fabulous Windows 8 Ghetto Start Menu / Start Button [UPDATE 1] - StartMeUP
Maybe I'm the only one, but my Windows 8 Consumer Preview desktop usage has been highly un-fun because there's no Start button anymore. I tried making a 'poor-man's' Start button by adding the Start menu folder in a taskbar toolbar, but that just wasn't floating my boat, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and code one using Windows API and MinGW in Code::Blocks.
I've been coding in Windows API for a few years now, but I'm no Raymond Chen. I prefer GTK and other types of programming on Linux, but I still like to keep current on the Windows side. With that said, StartMeUP is an extremely simple and rough-around-the-edges program that gives the Windows 8 desktop user a somewhat familiar face to deal with when it comes to frequently-used shortcuts, common Windows places and shutdown/reboot/lock.
Update: Yes, I know about Stardock and all of those other things. They aren't my cup of tea, so that's why I made StartMeUP. ;-)
Before you all flood me with comments about the program, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
• StartMeUP is a work in progress, so improvements will come
There is no 'Programs' menu/listing yet [FIXED]
• There is no 'Find programs and files' feature yet
• The 'places' links may flicker or disappear sometimes
• 'Favorite shortcuts' are added/removed in
(no, currently there is no 'drag and drop' support)
• Works in Windows 7 and Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Does NOT work in: 2000, XP or Vista
StartMeUP is not Unicode [FIXED]
Please let me know if you encounter any problems or you have feedback, suggestions, etc.
I respectfully ask that you don't slam my server. I run a very small server on a limited bandwidth connection, so too many downloads at one time will kill me, rupture my spleen and other unpleasant consequences. Be kind...rewind, erm, or something like that.
• Download and run the installer
• Drag the
StartMeUPdesktop shortcut to the taskbar
(drag it to where the Start button *should* be)
• 'Favorite shortcuts' items can be added/removed at
• Click the StartMeUP icon in the taskbar to bring up the menu
• To hide StartMeUP while running, click the StartMeUP icon, the Desktop or another app